Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Delicious Recipe and a Finished Purse

I have two things for you today.

First, a lip-smacking recipe: Dutch Babies! In my family, we've made these delectable pancakes for special occasions for as long as I can remember, birthdays and holidays and sometimes just to brighten a person's day. Dutch Babies never fail to impress with their unique fluffy texture and their extravagant, over-the-top looks. But never fear! Although these Dutch Babies look like they'd keep you from eating for a week or two, they're surprisingly light - I always fill the oven and make one per person. There's never any left over.

 Dutch Babies, hot from the oven. Serve with lemons, butter, and powdered sugar.


Dutch Babies
(One recipe per person, one recipe per pan)

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
3 Eggs
½ Cup flour
½ Cup milk
¼ Teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the butter in a ten-inch pie pan, then place the pan in heated oven for five minutes, until butter melts.

Place two or three pie pans in the oven on the middle shelf, or how many fit at a time.

Meanwhile, for the batter, in a medium bowl (one bowl per recipe) use a wire whisk to beat the eggs until combined.  Add flour, milk, and salt; beat until mixture is smooth.  Immediately pour batter into the hot skillet.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and well browned.

Slide whole Dutch Babies onto plates. Serve with lemon wedges, butter, and powdered sugar.


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Second, I've completed the crocheted-and-leather purse. Two months and thousands of stitches later, not to mention several missteps and an infusion of free leather (none of which went into this particular purse) ... it's hereby done!


Side One

Side Two

Writing and more ...

In other news, I have come up with an idea for my next novel. After brainstorming (with daughter Sarah's amazingly spot-on input) I've decided upon a plot framework for - gasp! - A THREE-BOOK SERIES! Taking a clue from the marvelous J.K. Rowlings, I sat down and plotted each book (for me) in painstaking detail, covering character traits and plot arcs and subplots and world-building. Whew. A lot of work goes into this stuff!

I then wrote up said plots in proposal form for my editor at Ellora's Cave. Now, a day later, I'm sitting on my thumbs, waiting for her go-ahead which may not come for a couple of weeks. It remains to be seen if the go-ahead I'm hoping for is more like a go-back-to-the-drawing-table...

Hey - I almost forgot - the first pass of edits for Inn on the Edge are on their way from my editor! I should be seeing them early next week. The book is one step closer to publication, and I am thrilled. It's my favorite novel so far, although, like a parent, I'm probably not supposed to say such a thing.

But it's true!

One more thing. On Wednesday, my classical guitar duo partner and I will (hopefully) record the last piece destined to go onto our first CD. I say "hopefully" because sometimes it takes a few weeks to get a good recording. Vivaldi can be a devil to play! You can bet I'll blog about it and post links if we're successful.

That's all for now, I promise! As always, thanks for reading my blog. I love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!